Thursday, November 7, 2019

Inger Stevens Socks Her Cash Away

In August 1969, Inger talked to reporter Vernon Scott about how she valued and saved the money she had earned as an actress. In typical Inger fashion, she shared this information in a way that did not come across as preachy or braggadocios. She simply shared the personal choices she had made and felt confident about throughout her career.

Inger was proud that she was able to take care of herself and was not dependent on others. She said:
They’ll never hold a benefit for me. And the only reason I’ll ever go to the Motion Picture Country Home is to entertain the old timers out there...I was advised to set up a trust fund for myself many years ago...A girl can take care of herself in this town, but you have to take time to make the right investments and be fortunate enough to earn the money to begin with. 
Still, she shared that her financial decisions came after falling into early trappings of success:
When I first came to Hollywood I fell into the trap of trying to keep up appearances with the right cars, clothes and all that. Then people would advise me to spend my money because everything was a write-off. Not so. I ended up paying cash, not writing off.
Inger did, however, splurge and treat herself to two homes:
I feel guilty about that. I don’t think anyone should own two washers and dryers, two stoves and refrigerators and all that. It seems unfair and such a waste. But I do love both my homes and spend a lot of time in them. 
Although she enjoyed working and did not consider herself to be an extravagant spender, Inger shared that she was looking forward to reaping the rewards of her hard work by truly enjoying life. Tragically, Inger shared these words just eight months before her death.
I’ve worked hard for a long time, and I don’t want to end those years without relaxing and enjoying life. At the moment, my financial situation is such that I’m not being pressed to work. So I can travel and move around. Maybe 10 years from now that won’t be possible...
Source:
Scott, Vernon. “Inger Stevens Socks Her Cash Away.” San Bernardino Sun. August 29, 1969.

No comments:

Post a Comment