Monday, May 10, 2021

Highlights from the July 1965 TV-Radio Mirror

Inger Stevens color photograph 1965
Inger in TV-Radio Mirror, July 1965

An article published in TV-Radio Mirror in 1965 deemed Inger "harder to figure out than a Chinese puzzle." The article recycles many old Inger quotes and stories I've posted here before, so I decided to focus on some highlights of the article that were "new."

The writer predicts that Inger will marry actor-producer-director Allen Baron. If you'd like to know more about Baron, click on this link for an excerpt from his memoir. We know that Inger was already secretly married to Ike Jones, so I'm not sure if this was a serious love affair of Inger's or a romance for publicity's sake. In fact, Inger discusses wanting to marry and have children:
I want to marry and have children—soon. I realize that, under my present circumstances, this is very difficult...but these circumstances aren’t going to prevail forever.

While readers assumed Inger's circumstances and difficulty referred to her busy work schedule, I believe Inger's talk of circumstances not prevailing forever was her way of acknowledging (in code, if you will) that she was married to a black man and that the strain and barriers society placed on them would not last—that there would come a time when she felt she could live openly.


Inger Stevens and Allen Baron
Inger with Allen Baron

The article also includes an interesting story about Inger and Steven McQueen. A blurb appeared in a gossip column stating that Inger had complained about Steve inhabiting the dressing room above hers because he loudly dropped heavy bar bells onto the floor on a regular basis. Inger denied that she had complained, but Steve confronted her and accused her of planting the story. Steve apparently got in Inger's face and made a scene, but Inger held her own and argued back. They eventually called a truce, Steve apologized, and they were able to laugh about it.

On a fun note, her young Farmer's Daughter costar Mickey Sholdar taught Inger how to play golf and bragged about how quickly she became skilled at the game.

On her life, Inger reflected:
Actually, I’m looking forward to being around forty five or fifty. I think it will be a nice age. People won’t be chasing after you so much. Life won’t be so hectic. You can get down to the simplicities of life...As much as I enjoy my life, I sometimes feel it’s being eaten up too fast. It’s like a great, big garbage disposal! I come to work at six in the morning, leave at seven in the evening. I come in when it’s dark and leave when it’s dark. The whole week is like one long day, and you put so much energy and thought into it, sometimes I feel it should be directed towards something else. Something more valuable in terms of my own fulfillment.
Source:
"Secrets of a Chinese Puzzle from Sweden Who's Ready to be an American Bride." TV-Radio Mirror. July 1965. 

No comments:

Post a Comment